Wonderful…the cold and cosy winter is upon us, and what better way to celebrate than with some delicious winter flavours, morning and night? There’s nothing we crave more around Sinterklaas than cinnamon, speculaas and pepernoten. But of course, we’d like it to be in a somewhat healthier version. What do you think of starting your day with oatmeal, cinnamon, stewed apples, strawberries—and homemade pepernoten? Bring it on!
Recipe for pepernoten
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- 75 g butter
- 70 g sugar
- 5 g speculaas spices
- 125 g self-rising flour
- 2 tbs (vegetable) milk
- extra: baking paper
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees.
- Slice the butter into small pieces and knead this together with the sugar, flour and speculaas spices. Add the milk and make a nice, smooth ball of dough.
- Spread the baking paper over a wire rack or baking sheet.
- Divide the dough into small balls of around 3 g each and lightly press them onto the baking paper.
- Slide the baking sheet into the often and bake them for 20 minutes until they’re a beautiful golden brown. You’re allowed to test them!
Recipe for oatmeal bowl
Recipes serves 1 person
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 200 ml (vegetable) milk + plus extra for on top
- 60 g oatmeal
- ½ of a peeled apple, in blocks
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2-3 strawberries in slices
- 20 g unsalted and unroasted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- Honey to taste
- Bring the oatmeal to a boil with the milk.
- Add the pieces of apple and the cinnamon, then turn the heat down and keep stirring it for around 10 minutes. Add honey to taste, if desired.
- Pour the oatmeal into a bowl and cut the strawberries into slices. Garnish with strawberries, chopped cashews, chia and of course…the delicious homemade pepernoten. Enjoy!