Banana bread is having a moment. The cake-like bread made of mashed bananas has shaken off its somewhat dull reputation, becoming super hip—it's now considered common knowledge that banana bread goes well with a turmeric latte or a matcha latte.
But nothing quite beats banana bread combined with cheesecake. This recipe uses an irresistible combo: a banana bread cake topped with cheesecake and swirled with homemade salted caramel sauce. Enjoy!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Cooling time: 30 minutes
Hardening time: 2 hours (3,5 hours)
Ingredients for a round banana bread ‘pie’ of 20 cm in diameter
- 3 overripe bananas, in slices (the blacker the bananas, the sweeter their taste)
- 2 levelled tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 150 g sugar
- Half a sachet of baking powder (about 1/2 tbsp)
- 125 ml sunflower oil
- 2 eggs
- 200 g (whole-wheat) flour
- 75 g roughly chopped walnuts
- Round cake pan (20 cm in diameter)
- Baking paper to put in the cake pan
- Whisk mixer
How to prepare the banana bread pie
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C
- Cut the bananas into slices and put them in a bowl. Add the cinnamon, sugar, salt and baking powder and mash together.
- Add the sunflower oil and the eggs, stir well, and then add some flour. It’s best to blend the mixture with a whisk mixer until smooth and creamy. It’s perfectly okay if there are still some small pieces of banana in the bowl.
- Roughly chop the walnuts, add them to the mixture and stir.
- Cover the base of the cake pan with baking paper, and pour the cake mixture into the pan. Place the pan in the pre-heated oven and set your timer for 30 minutes. Make sure you check on your cake every now and then, because all ovens are different!
- When the bread has cooled, slice off its rounded top to create a flat surface for the cheesecake topping. Place back in the cake pan.
Ingredients for the cheesecake topping
- 600 g Philadelphia of Monchou cheese
- 130 g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 sachets (12 g) of gelatine powder
- 180 ml whole milk
How to prepare the cheesecake topping
- Warm the milk in a saucepan and add the gelatine powder and stir well with a whisk. Don’t bring to boil, but make sure that the gelatine dissolves well.
- Blend the mixture with the cream cheese (which should be on room temperature), add the vanilla extract and the sugar, and mix until smooth.
- Pour the cheesecake mixture over the banana bread, as it is still in the cake pan. Cover with foil and let harden in the fridge.
Tip: You can simultaneously prepare the salted caramel sauce!
Ingredients for the salted caramel sauce
- 250 g light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 125 ml (whipped) cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
How to prepare the caramel sauce
- Mix all ingredients in a saucepan on low heat, and let simmer for approximately 6 minutes while stirring.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the pie in long drizzles, and enjoy!