Birria is a Mexican dish, traditionally made using goat meat. Unsurprisingly, this tender spicy stew only gets better when served in a taco. And because everyone should get a chance to try this delight, we’ve made you a vegan version. This recipe replaces the meat with different kinds of mushrooms to bring texture to the dish and by leaving it to stew for enough time, it develops a delicious umami flavour that will have everyone reaching for another bite
Recipe serves: 6 people.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
- 500 g shiitake mushrooms
- 500 g chestnut mushroom
- 500 g oyster mushroom
- 200 g achiote paste
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder (you can use the mild or spicy one)
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 1 white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 12 small corn tortillas
- 1 white or red onion (finely diced)
- ¼ bunch of coriander (finely chopped)
- Shred the mushrooms with a fork and fry them on a high heat until they start to get some nice colour.
- Cut your onion and tomato into quarters and add to a blender with the paprika powder, cumin, garlic, achiote paste and salt.
- Blend until pureed (add some water to help the blender in necessary).
- Add this puree to the pan with your mushrooms and cook for five minutes.
- Add water to make a stew then also add the cinnamon stick and stew for 30 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Strain the mushrooms and keep the sauce aside for dipping.
- Line up the tacos and fill them with some of the mushroom stew, then fold them in half.
- Pan fry the tacos in a little oil until crispy before sprinkling them with the onions and the coriander.
- Serve with the sauce you set aside, and dip away.
Want to experience Rouhi for yourself? Experience a world where East meets West. A world where you can indulge body and mind, with food for the soul. At Rouhi, chef Renaud Goigoux presents a considered menu that uses only the most carefully sourced wholesome ingredients.
You will find Rouhi on the ground floor of House of Rituals, Spui Square, Amsterdam.