You may think you know cheesecake, but not like this. Treat your dinner guests to this deliciously nutty and creamy, vegan extravaganza
You may think you know cheesecake, but not like this. Why not treat your dinner guests to this deliciously nutty and creamy, vegan extravaganza?
You cannot go wrong with a cheesecake, and this deconstructed vegan delight is the perfect dessert to treat your guests to after dinner. A composite of nuts, fruit and natural sugars, it’s far healthier than your average cheesecake (although we can’t guarantee that you won’t help yourself to a second serving!) The nuts used in this dish are a great source of protein, minerals and antioxidants. They contribute to heart and gut health and boost energy levels. We have used pluots in this dish (a mixture between Japanese plums and apricots) but feel free to choose another fruit too. We hope you enjoy this truly joyful desert!
Recipe serves: 8
10 minutes for ‘cream cheese’
5 minutes for crumble
5 minutes for orange caramel
15 minutes in the oven
Vegan cream cheese:
- 250 g pecan, macadamia or cashew nuts
- 500 ml plant-based milk of choice
- 150 g maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- ½ vanilla bean sliced lengthways and de-seeded
- Juice of 1-2 lemons
- 1 rounded tsp vegeset*
- A pinch of pink Himalayan salt
* can be substituted for gelatine.
- 120 g dry roasted hazelnuts (roughly chopped)
- 60 g almond flour
- 50 g coconut sugar**
- 80 g black sesame seeds
- 60 g coconut oil (room temperature)
- A pinch of pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
** can be substituted for any fine, natural sugar like cane or beet sugar.
- 2-3 oranges (zest and juice)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- Fresh pluots, or fruit of choice (sliced)
- A handful of mint leaves
- Place all the ingredients for the cream cheese in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- If you have a hot blender, keep blending until the cream cheese has reached boiling point.
Otherwise, pour into a saucepan and as you keep stirring over medium heat, gently bring to the boil.
- Remove from heat and allow the cream cheese to cool down to room temperature, before placing it in the refrigerator until completely cooled (approximately 2-4 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
- Mix all the ingredients for the crumble together in a bowl until combined.
- Spread onto a baking tray and bake in the oven until golden brown (approximately 15 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool down.
- Place all the ingredients for the orange caramel into a small saucepan.
- While stirring occasionally on medium to medium-high heat, bring to the boil and reduce to half, or until the caramel has become thick and syrupy. Be careful not to heat the caramel too much as the sugars can burn.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool down
- Slice your fruit for garnish.
- To serve, place dollops of the cream cheese into a bowl and top with crumble, fruit, caramel and mint leaves. Enjoy!