Experience a world where East meets West with this refreshing twist on a Spanish classic
East meets West with this refreshing twist on the classic Spanish cold soup that. This is a super easy recipe to make and is ideal if you don’t have a lot of time but want something that’s a little more exciting to the tastebuds than a basic salad or sandwich. You can also make the soup a day in advance and keep it chilled in the fridge if you want to prep for another day. In this recipe we use beetroot for earthiness to balance the freshness of the Granny Smith apple, while the Eastern twist comes in the form of wasabi that adds a hint of spice and the addition of coconut milk for a touch of creaminess.
Perfect for a hot summer’s day, you can make this for lunch or enjoy it as a light dinner after a long day of work.
REFRESHING BEETROOT, WASABI & COCONUT GAZPACHO
Recipe for 4 people
Preparation time: 30 minutes + 60 minutes chilling
- Chopping board
- 500 gr (cooked) beetroot.
- 1 red pepper
- 1. red onion
- 40 gr fresh ginger
- 400 ml beetroot juice
- 300 ml coconut milk
- 200 ml olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp wasabi paste
- 200 ml sushi seasoning
- 100 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- ¼ bunch dill
- 3 green apple (Granny Smith)
- Slice the cooked and peeled beetroot in big chunks
- Slice the pepper in half (length wise) and scrape out the seeds, making use of the back of a spoon
- Peel the red onions and slice them in chucky pieces
- Peel the ginger and cut it in big chunks too
- Peel the garlic
- Pluck the dill using the stems for the gazpacho and the rest for the garnish
- Take out the core of the green apples and save one of the apples for the garnish
- Put all the ingredients together in a blender and blitz it until nice and smooth.
- Chill the soup in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour, so that it is nice and cold when you serve it
- Cut the leftover apple in pieces. Add the soup to a nice bowl. Drizzle some good olive oil on top and finish it off with the apple and dill