This high-fibre recipe is ultimate comfort food without the guilt. Switching out the risotto rice for pearl barley is a great way to increase your fibre intake, keeping you fuller for a longer and it also helps to improve your digestion. Pumpkin is in season and will give your dish a beautiful touch of colour. But, that’s not all it does. The orange hue is caused by the antioxidant ‘beta carotene’ which is great for your skin and gives you a healthy glow, so you will feel beautiful from the inside and out.
Pearl barley risotto with pumpkin
Total preparation time: 30 minutes
Recipe for 4 people
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 200 grams (pearl) barley
- 300 grams (butternut) pumpkin, cubed
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs basil, sliced
- 100 grams Parmesan cheese, grated
- shaved Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a pot
- Bring the stock to a boil in another pan
- Gently fry the shallots and garlic in the oil until translucent
- Add in the barley to the shallots and garlic
- Add a good splash of stock and stir until the liquid is absorbed. Then add another splash of broth and continue until all the moisture has been absorbed. This will take approximately 30 minutes
- Add in the pumpkin and cook for 8 more minutes with the lid on the pan until tender
- Add in the lemon zest, parsley, basil and grated Parmesan cheese and serve immediately with the shaved Parmesan cheese
Want to experience Rouhi for yourself? Experience a world where East meets West. A world where you can indulge body and mind, with food for the soul. At Rouhi, chef Renaud Goigoux presents a considered menu that uses only the most carefully sourced wholesome ingredients.
You will find Rouhi on the ground floor of House of Rituals, Spui Square, Amsterdam.